Things all immigrants should keep from their first day in Canada under any visa or immigration status:
1. Download online bills or banking statements every month. Most banks and utilities only keep your bills online for 12 months.
2. All expired visas. Do not allow the border guard to dispose of your old visa when issuing a new one.
3. Keep track of all travel dates outside Canada, including day trips.
4. Travel ticket stubs or receipts, including car rental contracts.
5. Bank statements
6. Medical records
7. Rent receipts, leases or mortgage documents
8. Tax documents and notices of assessment
9. School report cards, documents or receipts
10. Hydro bills
11. Make colour photocopies of all travel documents
* If you have lost track of any of these documents, do not worry, you did not do anything wrong. The CIC provides no forewarning that these documents may be required. Just do your best and find as much as you can.